Location: Cardiff, UK
Responsible to: Global Director of Finance & Services
Relationships with others: Will work closely with the Finance & Services team
Contract type: Full time
Salary: £19,000-24,000 depending on experience
United Purpose (UP) is an international development charity with an innovative community led approach to delivering the Sustainable Development Goals and eradicating global poverty and inequality. We lift people up out of poverty by providing solutions to poverty that last. Our unique approach combines high quality intelligent development , disruptive innovation and enabling independence making us a powerful agent of change.
With a global turnover of £20 million and annual support to 3 million people we have been successful in growing our impact and reputation. Our income has increased significantly in the past few years. We are now looking to develop further funding relationships, more rigorously measure our impact and continue to invest in our devolved, community-led approach to development.
We are looking for an exceptional individual to join our dynamic organisation at an exciting time of growth. You will need to demonstrate that you have the skills, knowledge, ability and experience to deliver on the below. The role of the UK Office is to:
- Manage and develop UP’s supporter base in the UK and undertake fundraising, development education and advocacy initiatives.
- Manage the country offices, providing technical, operational, financial and logistical support;
- Represent UP to international funding and operational partners.
- Manage overall strategy and contribute towards the development of in-country and regional strategy programme development.
- Communicate with the UP Trustees, UP staff and other stakeholders on governance and key management issues.
Office management is dynamic in that it involves working across all teams to promote efficiency and effectiveness in the day to day tasks that affect not only the immediate UKO, but Country Programmes’ and overall Governance. Whilst it is important that daily tasks are completed to a high standard, it is integral that sights are raised to determine how the systems, policies and procedures in place can be made more effective. The Office Manager should help motivate and enhance spirit in the organisation, promoting a positive “way we do things around here” culture.
Responsibilities- Human Resources
Strategy and policies
- Schedule the induction itinerary for incoming staff, including UK and overseas
- Setting, developing and managing a clear HR strategy
- Develop best practice and consistent HR Policies and Procedures across the organisation, including periodic review to ensure compliance. Ensuring employees / consultant contracts comply with legislation.
- Completion of employment contracts and an HR handbook
- Ensure health and safety procedures are adhered to in the UK office and updated according to regulation.
- Work with line managers to assess training & development needs and look for relevant opportunities
- Circulate agendas and other papers for Board and Committee meetings and manage arrangements for the AGM
- Provide admin support for the board as necessary and manage their recruitment and inductions
- Provide administrative support to the Senior Management Team. This includes but is not limited to: co-ordinating and booking meetings, tracking and following up on agreed actions and writing communications;
- Support international staff with visas and luggage;
- Co-ordinate the recruitment process for new UK and international staff, including development of the recruitment schedule, advertising and supporting the recruiting manager throughout the process;
- Manage the HR database and personnel files
- Ensure that adequate and appropriate insurance is in place to cover travel by UP staff, their families and other personnel engaged on UP business;
- Work closely with line managers to promote motivation and good communication. This includes, but is not limited to organizing events such as team building days, coordinating and minuteing SMT meetings and supporting organizational strategy meetings;
- Co-ordinate and chair regular office meetings in the UKO. Ensure these meetings are regularly reviewed and the review process includes all UKO staff members;
- Ensure all staff and volunteers working with children or vulnerable adults have an up-to-date DBS;
- Organise regular socials
- Coordinate the recruitment of volunteers and manage the volunteer database;
- Co-ordinate the induction of new volunteers;
- In liaison with other office staff, ensure that volunteers have job descriptions or clear task lists;
- Ensure regular reviews of the volunteer process
Responsibilities- Office Management
Office budget management and purchasing
- Develop and manage the annual budget for UK office costs, supported by the Finance & Services Director;
- Minimise costs and look for funding opportunities where possible;
- Purchase of key equipment requiring maintenance cover (e.g. Photocopiers, phones but excluding Computer equipment);
- Ensure that adequate and appropriate office and contents insurance is in place ;
- Co-ordinate arrangements for the supply of utilities for the office;
- Maintain and order office supplies, stationery and equipment from the most competitive suppliers;
- Book flights for visitors and the international team
Housekeeping and admin efficiency
- Liaise with the landlord, cleaner and recycling organisations to ensure the maintenance of a clean, safe and businesslike working environment;
- Ensure the maintenance of shared address book and diary, staff emergency contact lists;
- Ensure regular update of emergency contact and dependent information for overseas staff;
- Deal with incoming and outgoing post and e-mails, book couriers, purchase stamps etc.;
- Answer phone calls and greet visitors in a professional and courteous manner;
- Book accommodation and meeting rooms;
- Reply to routine funding requests or UK employment enquiries arriving at the general inbox
Required Skills and Experience
- Excellent communication skills with a confident and professional telephone manner;
- Excellent administrative and organisational skills with attention to detail;
- Proven track-record in a fast-paced work environment with the ability to plan, prioritise and deliver under pressure;
- A team-player, prepared to get involved in a range of activities;
- Commitment to United Purpose’s values and a working style that reflects these;
- Educated to degree level or significant equivalent work experience.
Preferred Skills & Experience
- International development qualifications and/or international development experience;
- Experience of working with volunteers.
- HR experience
To apply for this role please send us your CV, our Equal Opportunities form (voluntary) and a short covering letter by 4th December. Contact details and the Equal Ops form can be found here: http://united-purpose.org/officemanager
All applications will be acknowledged but only successful applications will be contacted further.
Apply for Office Manager
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly