Science Technician / Laboratory Technician / Lab Technician
Job Title: Laboratory Technician (New Product Development)
Location: Nantgarw, Cardiff
Salary: £16,000 - £18,500 pa + Plus bonus and substantial benefits
Hours: 9:00 - 17:00 (Hours will need to be flexible to meet business needs)
Closing Date: 12pm, Monday 3rd October 2016
The company is a global biotechnology company producing speciality enzymes at commercial scales, offering both off-the-shelf enzyme products and a customised enzyme discovery, development and manufacturing service. From identifying an enzyme that exists as a concept on a database, through to producing large scale commercial quantities of stable enzymes suitable for global shipment.
Due to the company's on-going commitment to expanding their product portfolio which is central to accelerating their growth, the company has an opportunity for a Laboratory Technician who will be part of their highly motivated Assay Team.
This role is primarily to carry out enzymatic and protein assays to support the activities of process/product development and manufacturing so, being analytical with great attention to detail and accuracy is essential. You will be an integral member of project teams helping to deliver the needs of the company's customers.
- Technically competent in performing Enzyme Activity Assays and interpreting results
- Technically competent in performing SDS PAGE
- Technically competent in performing Bradford Protein assays
- Planning and organising within projects
- Planning and organising within manufacturing schedule
- Maintaining stock levels of buffer and media
- Reporting data to NPD scientists and Operations' team in agreed timeline
- Analyse, interpret and evaluate data and identify results requiring further investigation (seeking advice of senior colleagues as appropriate)
- Produce reliable, accurate data and keep accurate records of laboratory work undertaken and results
- Working closely with New Product Development, Operations and Quality Control teams when developing new process/technical capabilities
- Prepare for laboratory tasks using the appropriate scientific techniques, procedures and methods
- Working flexibly for accommodating out of hours project tasks
- Demonstrate technical competence in the use of specified instrumentation and laboratory equipment, including calibration where required
- Support scientists and help carry out tests, research and investigations
- Ensure maintenance of equipment is carried out to agreed schedules
- Participate in continuous performance improvement
- Carry out the responsibilities stated in the Managing Director's Health & Safety Policy detailed in paragraphs 9 and 10 of his management directive
- Be conversant with and adopt the procedures stated in the Quality & Environmental Management System and its supporting documents
- A' level - achieved at least 200 points at A/AS level including DD at GCE A2 for two Science subjects or HNC standard or equivalent in Laboratory and Associated Technical Activities
- 5 GSCE's or equivalent, Grade C or above including Maths, English and Science Degree in Science
- Working in a lab environment
- Good knowledge of MS Office including Word & Excel
- Technical/work based skills - Possession of the knowledge, understanding and expertise required to carry out the work effectively
- High Quality Work on Time - The focus on delivering quality and continuous improvement
- Results driven - The capacity to analyse situations, diagnose problems, identify the key issues, establish and evaluate alternative courses of action and produce a logical, practical and acceptable solution
- Communication - the ability to communicate clearly and persuasively, orally or in writing
- Flexible approach to working hours to meet demands of the business
Please click the APPLY button to send your CV and Covering Letter for this role.
Candidates with experience of; Lab Technician, Laboratory Technician, Lab Technician in Science, Apprentice Laboratory Technician, Lab Assistant, Laboratory Assistant, Science Assistant, Science Technician, Biology Technician, Biology Assistant, Experiment Assistant, Experiment Technician, Lab Technician Apprentice will also be considered for this role.